It has been a while since our last blog as we have been extremely busy at RD Dental over the last few months due to many new patients being recommended to us by existing patients. We would like to thank you for your support and recommendations and hopefully you will have received a small gift in the post if you have recommended a patient to us.
We are currently busy promoting National Smile Month (15th may-15th June).
What is National Smile Month?
It is the UK's largest and longest running campaign which aims to promote good oral health (in a fun way) with the key messages being:
- brush your teeth last thing at night and on at least one other occasion with a fluoride toothpaste
- cut down on how often you have sugary foods and drinks
-visit your dentist regularly, as often as they recommend.
Why does good oral health matter?
- A healthy smile can be a good asset socially and can help in careers and relationships
- Our teeth play an important role in our lives: chewing and digesting food, helping to speak clearly clearly and they give our face it's shape.
-Improves the health of your body as well as your mouth. Studies have found that poor oral health can lead to or exacerbate heart disease, strokes, diabetes, giving birth to a premature or low birth weight babies, and respiratory (lung) problems.
Top Tips for a healthy mouth
- Regular examinations as often as recommended, can help to identify any decay, gum problems and anything abnormal in your mouth at an early stage
- Use floss or interdental brushes in between your teeth daily
- Chewing gum after eating sugary foods/ drinks helps neutralise the acid in your mouth to prevent tooth decay. We have many samples of different sugar free gums for you to try.
-Quit smoking to reduce risk of staining, gum disease and mouth cancer
- Change your toothbrush/toothbrush head every 3 months
- Use a toothpaste containing fluoride and do not rinse your mouth after brushing as you are rinsing the fluoride away.
For any further information about oral health do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to welcoming you.
Our team at RD dental will always endeavour to make your visits as comfortable as possible and we promise to treat every patient like family, providing high quality care. We will put your safety, trust and satisfaction at the forefront of all of our treatments.